Thursday, February 4, 2010

Painting and Hans Heyson

I've been working on two paintings at the moment...my most recent painting of mum and another night-time portrait of her. The good news is that both are coming along well! There was a little bit of.... is it this blue ? or that blue? or this blue and that one? and then some more mixing and running back and forth looking at my canvas from a distance. Sometimes there's that elusive colour combination of nice in-between colours. (the answer was a tiny dab of Permanent Alizrian Crimson by the way!)


Every time I start a painting, I wish it to be more of a challenge than the last...I'd like to find some really complex compositions that are in right now and to somehow make the painting flow well and draw the viewer in. I've tried to crop my paintings further back from the main subject recently and it has helped because it really shows up the dead spots in some of my compositions.

There's so many little bits of social commentary I'd like to somehow work into my work and definitely think there will be more interior works and the canvases will be much bigger.

I went to see the Hans Heyson Exhibition at the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery.

I was really excited when The Mercury featured a large free lift-out of a beautiful painting of majestic old gum trees. What expert composition!!!!!

I study it before I go to bed each night and rescue it off the floor when the blue-tack runs dry and peels off the wall. It's funny though because one of his large canvas just really sucked. It was really dull and just didn't work on a large scale at all. And there was a few vapid little drawings of Venice that Hans had painted while he was young.

Mum and I joined a tour-guided group while we were at the exhibition. It was interesting to beginning, but we made a dash after a while as I got the feeling the lady was reading imaginary cue-cards off the walls, rather than actually knowing or understanding about the artist.


A great oddity in the Heyson collection was a painting of 'the artists wife sewing' (1913) sitting at a desk under an open window....the light was luminous! it didn't really fit in with his the muted palette of most of the exhibition, but gee...what a great painting!


Anyway the heat has finally broken this evening (28 degrees) and now the rain is sounding off in a nice high pitched way when drops hit the roof....that's one of the great thing about Australia...tin roof music!

will update soon with work-in-progress shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment